Case Study 3: Lessons Learned
WHAT ARE THE LESSONS LEARNED FROM THE DECKERS EXAMPLE?
- In an industry where imitation is rampant, companies should consider using broad-based enforcement strategies that include:
- asserting different forms of IP rights, whether independently or in a layered, complementary manner, to achieve the desired objectives.
- In tandem with aggressive enforcement strategies, other long-term strategies could be considered, including:
- educating customers about how to detect and avoid counterfeit goods; and
- seeking strategic alliances with local companies in jurisdictions where you are at greatest risk of counterfeit or knock-off products entering the market.
Last modified: Thursday, 3 September 2020, 3:38 PM