In this introductory module, we will define all forms of intellectual property (IP) so that you can become familiar with the broad range of rights recognized around the world. The remainder of the course will then focus more specifically on copyright, trademarks, industrial designs, patents and confidential information/trade secrets - these being the most important forms of IP and the most commonly created and used by companies.
You will find a number of glossaries of key terms on the internet. See for example, CIPO Glossary of IP Terms.
- IP Defined
- The Importance of IP and IP Strategy
- Types of IP
- Transnational IP
By the end of this module you should be able to:
- Describe the term intellectual property (IP) and what it encompasses.
- Explain the importance of IP for your business.
- Summarize why having an IP strategy is important for your business.
- Identify the key forms of IP recognized globally and distinguish each one based on the type of subject matter being protected and whether any formalities are required to create the IP right.
- Recognize that IP laws differ from country to country and how this influences your global IP strategy.
- Describe the connection between national IP laws and the international IP law system.