This massive open online course, created by the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI), explores the basic principles relating to the protection and strategic uses of intellectual property (IP) for competitive advantage. Understanding and developing an IP strategy is an essential requirement for all businesses seeking to compete and scale up in an increasingly competitive domestic and global marketplace. For more resources on this topic as you navigate through this course, please visit CIGI’s IP law page.
In this course, you will:
- learn how to identify the major forms of IP and the subject matter they cover;
- recognize the differences between national IP laws in transnational contexts;
- identify the ways in which these various forms of IP either intersect or are mutually exclusive;
- understand the importance of an IP strategy for businesses, especially in a global context, and the importance of integrating an IP strategy as part of a business strategy;
- recognize the ways in which IP rights can be ”layered” for strategic advantage;
- understand and evaluate IP license agreements and IP enforcement strategies; and
- develop the skills of an IP strategist.